Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Trot, Turkey Trot, Turkey Trot Pie!

This morning, at 7 months pregnant, I ran our town's annual Turkey Trot 5K, along with about 4000 other people.  The experience was oddly emotional; as the music played and the crowd cheered the runners past, I thought about where I was at this time last year, having lost our two pregnancies, being frustratingly unsuccessful at "trying again," not yet diagnosed with secondary infertility, not yet seeing my new endocrinologist.  I thought about where I am now, and marveled at what a difference a year can make, despite the fact that I'm so unsure about the future.  Even when I'm not pregnant I'm no marathoner, but my time was just a few minutes more than last year; though the run itself--even the little inclines--felt harder, I just kept telling myself I wasn't in a hurry, and ran to enjoy the morning, smiling as I crossed the finish line.  (Keiko and RunningMama, I thought of you!)  A few times during the race it sleeted just a little bit, and once we were home, it started to snow: large, sticky flakes--the first real snow of the season.  It was enough to take your breath away.

Even better, I didn't even have to cook a turkey this year, which I hate doing, partly because it's a pain in the neck to tend something for that long in the oven, partly because the smell permeates the whole house for days, partly because you ALWAYS have too much leftover fowl, and partly because I just don't really like turkey.  To the chagrin of my carnivorous husband, I donated the free one we earned at the grocery store to the food pantry, and my brother cooked a bird and half of the starches, my mother cooked the other half of the starches, and I brought Brussels sprouts and apple pie.  I ate mostly sprouts, pie, and stuffing, not necessarily in that order.

Still, given the Turkey Trot and tradition, I felt compelled to post a turkey recipe today.  The great thing about it is that you can use leftover turkey for it if you're not vegetarian, and if you are vegetarian, tofu crumbles would work just as well.  It's stick-to-your-ribs food, but it's also a lot better for you than it could potentially be, between the nonfat milk and whole wheat flour.  You can fill it with any kind of veggies (par-boiled) that you like, or whatever happens to be in your refrigerator (provided it's not too crazy).  I use the same crust that I use for apple pie, because it's not fussy, you don't need any special equipment, and it comes together pretty quickly.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone ... here's wishing you a happy and healthy start to the holiday season!

(Turkey) Pot Pie

1 double-crust pie crust recipe of your choice (I use this)

2 medium potatoes, thick diced
1 lb. ground turkey or tofu crumbles or a little less than that amount of cooked turkey
2 T. butter + 5 T. butter
1 small onion, diced
1 t. chopped garlic
1 c. flour
3 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1 T. chopped parsley
1/2 t. thyme
1/2 t. oregano
1 bay leaf
1/4 t. poultry seasoning or sage
1 c. fat free evaporated milk
10 oz. frozen mixed vegetables

Preheat oven to 375.  Boil the potatoes in a small pot until about 1/2 done, drain, rinse with cold water, and set aside.

Melt 2 T. butter.  Add onion and garlic; if using ground turkey or tofu crumbles, also add this and brown it, seasoning with salt and pepper.  If using cooked turkey, cook the onion/garlic until just translucent, and add the turkey to brown just slightly.

Add 5 T. butter, melt.  Add flour and stir constantly until mixed.  Cook for about 2 minutes.  Add the stock and seasonings to the turkey/tofu mixture with the potatoes, and bring to a slow boil, stirring often, and keeping the heat low.  Add the evaporated milk and return to a boil.  Add the mixed veggies and heat through; pour the whole thing into your pie crust.  Cover with the top crust, and coat with egg.

Bake the pie for about 40 minutes, and cool for about 10 minutes.  Dig in!
Pin It

9 comments:

  1. What a difference a year makes indeed! Glad you had such a good time and completed the race. Happy Thanksgiving my friend & hope your next year is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your "trot"! Good luck on the last few months.. enjoy every minute... #31 ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... thats awesome you are able to run at 7 months pregnant! Congrats! That Turkey pot pie looks amazing! I think I will use that recipe :) Thanks for posting and Happy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minus, the turkey that looks super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here from ICLW :) Looks delicious! I have a chicken and biscuit recipe I just adore that's similar. Congrats on your 5K.. I used to think I could turn myself into a runner - ha! Sending prayers and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an inspiration - running a RACE at 7 months! That is so awesome! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am sending you an email now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, that is impressive! Impressive normally, and then, at 7 months preggo, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, I am so impressed. I couldn't even get my lazy self out of bed to go to the gym this morning and it was clear as a bell outside. You are a trouper!

    So I cracked up when I read the title of your post, "Turkey Trot, Turkey Trot, Turkey Trot Pie". For years in my family whenever we are having pot pie we go around singing, "chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie" at the top of our lungs. I think it came from an old sitcom that we used to watch. It's mostly annoying to everyone around but we didn't care. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...